Friday, July 22, 2016

Reading of Beowulf, Canto 1: Shild Sheeving

This a recitation of the previous post. I uploaded it briefly on my "Amusing the Muses" Blog, before I realized that a Beowulf translation project would interfere with the recently acquired purpose of the blog, which had become the introduction into English of triolets of poets from different ages and different languages. I hope the following recitation will prove to be of interest. Rhythmically, I feel that I can justify my claim to it being more faithful to that of the original West Saxon than any other recording of Beowulf so far produced, whether in West Saxon or in Modern English. I hope, despite my defects as an amateur reader of poetry, that, nevertheless, the beauty of the original Beowulf poem will shine through somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment